Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Week 2 - Tuesday 14th January 2014

It is a very quiet day for diet news today so maybe like some tabloid newspapers I may have to make some up :-)

I achieved my first weight-loss milestone this morning which was great but will not be revealed until the weekly weigh-in.

I may have mentioned before that we need to eat 2 tablespoons of oat bran per day to help digestion. I tried a new recipe this morning and it ended up looking like a severe accident - did not taste too bad though. I am eating so many oats that I think I may start growing a mane and a tail - neigh.

Now starting to run up the 20 stairs between the 3rd & 4th floor in the office. Unfortunately the positive health effect of this is negated by the fact that I am actually going out onto the balcony for a cigarette - my next challenge.

I must remember not to bring in hard-boiled eggs for lunch. My colleagues have politely not said anything but all the windows are now open!

I was walking down the High Street a couple of weeks ago and a "Chav" came up to me and said "you're fat"! I immediately replied to him, "you're ugly but I am losing weight, you can't change your looks" (OK, I admit, freedom of the press).

As I was reaching my 2 Km marker on my run where I turn around I saw some lights jogging towards me. I did not want to immediately be overtaken so I carried on until they passed me. I noticiced it was a couple jogging whilst pushing a pushchair - I wasn't able to catch them up although I ended up adding another 400 metres in distance.

I had a baked aubergine for dinner. Basically take a large aubergine (eggplant) insert some deep slices and stuff some garlic cloves and bake on a high heat. Very filling and extremely healthy and lots of benefits, I have reproduced an article from BBC good food below.

Nutritional highlightsAubergine growing
A 100g serving of raw aubergine provides:
25kcal1g protein0.2g fat6g carbohydrate3.4g fibre
Blood pressureResearch
Aubergines are an excellent source of dietary fibre. They are also a good source of vitamins B1 and B6 and potassium. In addition it is high in the minerals copper, magnesium and manganese.

Aubergines are rich in antioxidants, specifically nasunin found in aubergine skin - which gives it its purple colour. A potent antioxidant and free radical scavenger, nasunin has been found to protect the lipids (fats) in brain cell membranes. Cell membranes are almost entirely composed of lipids and are responsible for protecting the cell and helping it to function. The lipid layer is crucial for letting nutrients in, wastes out and receiving instructions from messenger molecules that tell the cell what to do.
 Research on aubergines has focused on nasunin.  It is not only a potent antioxidant, protecting the fatty acids essential for healthy brain function, but it also helps move excess iron out of the body. Althoughiron is an essential nutrient, necessary for transporting oxygen in the blood, immune support and collagen synthesis, too much iron is not recommended.
Aubergines are high in fibre and low in fat and therefore recommended for those managing type 2 diabetes or managing weight concerns. Initial studies indicate that phenolic-enriched extracts of eggplant may help in controlling glucose absorption, beneficial for managing type 2 diabetes and reducing associated high blood pressure (hypertension).
Aubergines may also help to lower LDL (bad) cholesterol levels. These positive effects are likely to be down to nasunin and other phytochemicals in aubergines. (Source: BBC Good food)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The only other time I have really eaten aubergine before is deep fried and added in a moussaka - not so good!
Up to 30 seconds of planking now so body strength is increasing.
Adios, amigos





No comments:

Post a Comment